Monday 22 February 2010

Looking back, looking forward

Well, sadly my photoshoot scheduled last week didn't go ahead due to poor weather conditions. It's a shame, but it's only been postponed rather than cancelled completely. Hopefully I'll get another chance later on.

Meanwhile, I decided to go and visit my grandmother, since I had some time free and no other plans. Rather glad I did, as I also got to see her neighbour's animal menagerie. The neighbour helps with the local animal protection, and has several cats which need re-homing. Amongst those, were two mother cats and their two litters of kittens. Kittens are always cute, especially when the kitten I got to snuggle had only just opened his eyes, and barely fit into the palm of my hand. She also had some lovely dogs which she was keeping herself - all rescues. One was a sweet little Jack Russell pup, so I had a lovely visit playing with kittens and the puppy.

This week looks a bit more quiet than last week was. The momentum has calmed a bit, but I think having upped my efforts a bit I feel more inclined to push more and find more work to do. One of the things I've been meaning to get stuck into, was contacting companies about potentially borrowing samples to photograph for three studio based projects. I admit, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable contacting people. Explaining who I am and what I want something for, and what I'm requesting.... it's not exactly your everyday request. Fortunately, I've been quite lucky - most people tend to be quite helpful, which makes the process considerably easier.

Although I've no shoots lined up for this week, I am planning on trying to get some more practice shots going. I want to try and experiment more with outdoor lighting techniques, as well as just trying to take more pictures. I managed to get outside this afternoon, just as the sun was setting. It was actually really nice light - cool, low, and crisp, it had a lot of atmosphere to it. The actual pictures weren't anything special as my focus was entirely on light. I decided to completely ignore composition and the usual tick-boxes of good photography, and concentrate on light. I'm not going to post the results, but it was good just to strip back the whole photograph to one specific area.

As for the week ahead - well, the weather this week looks quite changeable, so I think I'll have lots of different opportunities for taking photographs, which I can hopefully post on here.

No comments: