Thursday 18 February 2010

change of plan

Although I had a photoshoot planned for this weekend, it has unfortunately, been postponed due to weather conditions. I was a little disappointed, but this morning I took the opportunity to work on my techniques. I also managed to rejig the brolly, so that I can shoot the flashgun through it, rather than into it and bounce back. This made me quite happy, and I think I've found the technique I want to use for my eventual shoot.

It's been quite good just to get some experimenting in, and good to get my technique honed.
Ignoring the flare, and the slightly over-bouncy hair, I'm quite happy with the lighting here. Both external speedlights set at +1/2 power, while the on-camera flash was at -1/8th power. I didn't want the on-camera flash to be overpowering, just to soften any harsh shadows while not distracting from the brolly.

The set up isn't particularly exciting - just a bare speedlight and a brolly pointed at each other, with the camera on the left side of the brolly, and me facing the brolly. Just a simple experiment in cross-lighting. Especially as there was a complete lack of sunlight (as that grey sky might suggest).

No comments: