Wednesday 11 March 2009

the last lap

So it's the start of my third and final term at college.... it's all gone so quickly!

Last term, we had documentary and fashion, as well as creative industries which was more practical advice about job hunting, and support for photographers in the real world.

As usual, it's all been a bit interesting in terms of what I like/ what I'm good at.

For my documentary projects, I decided to shoot two of them on medium format film cameras. After wasting two rolls of film, I quickly learned how to load the Bronica camera (and read instructions after finding them on the internet).

Fashion was a bit of a challenge. What I learned most, was about the amount of organisation in a single shoot. It's not just a case of turning up with a camera and asking everyone to say cheese. It was actually very frustrating at times, but I managed to get my shots done. What I needed though, and could have done with, was a friendly pair of hands to assist me while I worked. Running around back and forth between models, agencies, and make up artists (as well as trying to free photographic kit from the clutches of the over-possessive storeman at college) is a lot of hard work. Add into it, the research, and trying to explain what you're after to so many people.... and that's before I've even shot a single frame. It certainly gave me a new appreciation of the work of fashion photographers.

That said, I was happy with one or two shots from the shoot, and I felt that my final shoot, at Chatelherault Country Park in Hamilton was perhaps my most successful.

I've been busy experimenting a lot with different ideas of photography, and for this shoot, I wanted to return a bit to what I like most - dramatic skies and cool skin tones.

I did however relish the opportunities I had to just go out with my camera, on my own, and do my documentary projects. Those were the wonderful moments in between, where I was able to work on a small scale project, instead of something that felt like a mammoth operation.

In addition, I've been working on some other projects, for other people, as a means of testing my skills before I am released into the wild as a new photographer.

At the end of January, I took photographs for a charity ball north of Perth. I met the charity organisers in October, during a work experience shoot with a newspaper, and offered my services to them as and when required. They invited me to photograph people as they arrived at a very lovely hotel, and I ended up being fed a four course meal, as well as ending up in the presidential suite when one of their guests didn't show up.

In February, I was invited to take photos during a music video - a mix of fashion and documentary. It was an absolutely exhausting day, but a very valuable experience, and one which I enjoyed a lot!

I've got a couple of additional projects lined up, including a fashion show next week, and hopefully a chance to do some architectural photography. I'm also meant to be working on an album cover for someone, as a return favour for a photo shoot they did with me in November.

All that, plus finishing my college work in 12 weeks time....

Oh, and I really need to get a proper website sorted out - something I've been doing quite a bit of research into. Hopefully I'll have some more news for you on that front by end of April.

No comments: