Monday 24 March 2008

College Project

Hi there

If you're reading this, it's probably because I gave you a link to this page.

A little about me, if you're not aware...

I'm currently in my first year at college, studying a photography HND at Glasgow Metropolitan College.

I've been set a project for college, which is perhaps my most important project of my entire first year. I have to come up with a project of my choice, and produce lots of work, and an eventual five images which are of exhibition quality.

I've decided what I want to do, is a series of portraiture/lifestyle images. Rather than go for a magazine-fashion slant, I want these to be artistic photographs. They are about a story, rather than about a sales pitch.

All of the images will be shot on location around Scotland. I would like to produce more images than I actually require (five), to give myself some choice at the end of the process.

What I'm looking for...

I am seeking a model to pose for me, male or female. Given that this will involve several different locations, I'd appreciate it if you could be fairly flexible with your time. I anticipate that the total amount of time will probably be around seven shoots - although the timing of these is relatively flexible, ideally I would like to have shooting complete by the end of April.

Each shoot could last from an hour to a couple of hours. My time is fairly flexible in April. I am available every day/evening with exception of Monday mornings and Friday (all day). Therefore if you work shifts, we can arrange the shoots around your work commitments.

I do need absolute commitment though.

These photos aren't about smiling for the camera - I will give you directions as to the characteristics I need you to portray.

Ideas for the shoots....

At the moment, I have very rough sketches of ideas I want, in terms of my photoshoots.

I will make the necessary arrangements for the shoots and seek permission where necessary.

To give you an idea of the sorts of things I would like to shoot, here's some of my sketches.

What I can give you in return...

I can't afford to pay for models, however I'm not really looking for professional model types. I'd prefer to have more "natural" people in front of my camera.

However, this is what I can offer as means of a thank you for helping me out....
  • Full sized copies of the final selection of prints
  • A CD of shots from the shoots
  • I'll also pay for your travel expenses, and if the shoot takes place at a particular meal time (e.g. around dinner or lunch) then I'll buy you something to eat too. Where possible, I'm also willing to pick you up and give you a lift home - depending on timings, etc.
  • My complete gratitude for helping me out!

Finally....

If you're still wondering about this, and wondering about my idea, here's some links to other photographers. Although their styles are different, these are the sorts of photographs which I'm using as sources of inspiration. It might help you get an idea of what I'm looking for!

Paul Brooking

Dylan Collard

Stephen Papandropoulos

Dylan Thomas

Bill Sykes

Sam Robinson

Jason Robinson

Bjarte Rettedal

Alan Powdrill and Morgan Silk

Also if you want to get a better idea of my work, please feel free to browse my portfolio folder at flickr.

Thanks for reading this, and please leave any comments, or email me kssmitchell at gmail dot com if you want to discuss anything here that you're not sure about.

Kristin
x

3 comments:

dylan thomas said...

You seem to be going about your project the correct way, best of luck and i hope you get the response. Street casting is another way that I have found is fun and productive. Keep me posted on the results. A full name on your blog would help you.

The Other Dylan Thomas

Anonymous said...

Hi. Are you coming to indietracks this year?

Kristin said...

hi anonymous

no, not going to indietracks this year, as I've got plans. :)